Sunday, February 20, 2011

Beauty ICON of The Week: DEBI MAZAR

Beauty Icon of The Week: DEBI MAZAR











Early life

Mazar was born in Jamaica, Queens, New York, the daughter of Nancy and Harry Mazar. Her father was born in the Latvian SSR, Soviet Union, to a Jewish family, while her mother was a Catholic who converted to Judaism and later became a Buddhist, and for a period of time studied with Jehovah's Witnesses
Mazar began her career as a hip hop b-girl in New York City. Her first television appearance was on the pilot for a hip hop television dance show, Graffiti Rock in 1984. She appeared in five of Madonna's music videos - "Papa Don't Preach", "True Blue" (both 1986), "Justify My Love" (1990), "Deeper and Deeper" (1992) and "Music" (2000). Mazar has played a number of minor-yet-colorful supporting roles in a variety of movies, including: as Sandy, Henry Hill's girl on the side inGoodFellas (1990); The Doors (1991); Bullets Over Broadway (1994); and as Spice (of Sugar and Spice, with Drew Barrymore as Sugar) in Batman Forever(1995). She gained her first real following from playing a character on Civil Wars in the early 90s. When that show was cancelled her character was brought over as a recurring role in the 1993 - 1994 season of the TV drama L.A. Law.
She played the villain Regina, a modern-day Cruella de Vil in the popular family film Beethoven's 2nd (1993). She has appeared in independent films like Inside Monkey Zetterland and Nowhere but has also dabbled in mainstream attempts like Batman Forever, and her short-lived sitcom, Temporarily Yours. (The sitcom was about a woman who, in an attempt to get a good apartment in New York City, lies about being employed with a temp agency and then shows up at the agency begging for work.) She also appeared as the genie in the Space Monkeys' video, "Sugarcane".

Mazar appeared on a Friends episode in its eighth season ("The One Where Rachel Has a Baby, Part One"). Mazar played "Doreen, the Evil Bitch," a crazed pregnant woman who shares a hospital room with Rachel. From 2000–2002 she played "Jackie" on the television drama That's Life.
Currently, she is in a supporting actress role on Entourage, an original comedy series on HBO. She also had a recurring role on the sitcom Living with Fran, playing Fran Drescher's character's cousin, Merrill. She also did a stint on the television series Ugly Betty, where she plays Leah Stillman, a scam artist who claims to be a lawyer in a number of episodes.
Mazar was a contestant on the ninth season of Dancing With the Stars. She was partnered with Maksim Chmerkovskiy and finished in 12th place. She was eliminated in the 3rd week (October 6, 2009). Mazar guest stars in some episodes of the Disney Channel's original series called Jonas L.A.


CAREER




Mazar began her career as a hip hop b-girl in New York City. Her first television appearance was on the pilot for a hip hop television dance show, Graffiti Rock in 1984. She appeared in five of Madonna's music videos - "Papa Don't Preach", "True Blue" (both 1986), "Justify My Love" (1990), "Deeper and Deeper" (1992) and "Music" (2000). Mazar has played a number of minor-yet-colorful supporting roles in a variety of movies, including: as Sandy, Henry Hill's girl on the side inGoodFellas (1990); The Doors (1991); Bullets Over Broadway (1994); and as Spice (of Sugar and Spice, with Drew Barrymore as Sugar) in Batman Forever(1995). She gained her first real following from playing a character on Civil Wars in the early 90s. When that show was cancelled her character was brought over as a recurring role in the 1993 - 1994 season of the TV drama L.A. Law.
She played the villain Regina, a modern-day Cruella de Vil in the popular family film Beethoven's 2nd (1993). She has appeared in independent films like Inside Monkey Zetterland and Nowhere but has also dabbled in mainstream attempts like Batman Forever, and her short-lived sitcom, Temporarily Yours. (The sitcom was about a woman who, in an attempt to get a good apartment in New York City, lies about being employed with a temp agency and then shows up at the agency begging for work.) She also appeared as the genie in the Space Monkeys' video, "Sugarcane".

Mazar appeared on a Friends episode in its eighth season ("The One Where Rachel Has a Baby, Part One"). Mazar played "Doreen, the Evil Bitch," a crazed pregnant woman who shares a hospital room with Rachel. From 2000–2002 she played "Jackie" on the television drama That's Life.
Currently, she is in a supporting actress role on Entourage, an original comedy series on HBO. She also had a recurring role on the sitcom Living with Fran, playing Fran Drescher's character's cousin, Merrill. She also did a stint on the television series Ugly Betty, where she plays Leah Stillman, a scam artist who claims to be a lawyer in a number of episodes.
Mazar was a contestant on the ninth season of Dancing With the Stars. She was partnered with Maksim Chmerkovskiy  and finished in 12th place. She was eliminated in the 3rd week (October 6, 2009). Mazar guest stars in some episodes of the Disney Channel's original series called Jonas L.A.

Personal Life





She married Gabriele CorcosMazar and Corcos currently host a very successful internet show focused on Tuscan cuisine: Under The Tuscan Gun. The family divides their time between their home in Los Angeles and a fourteenth-century house outside of Florence that was given to them as a wedding present by Mazar’s in-laws.



Prior to her marriage, she dated actor Paul Reubens for several years beginning in 1993, Reubens has since credited Mazar with ending his depression resulting from his infamous 1991 arrest. She and her husband now host a cooking show on THE COOKING CHANNEL called Extra Virgin.







Trivia
Her character, Denise Iannello from "Civil Wars" (1991) was saved from the cancellation of that series and added to "L.A. Law" (1986) the following season.
On "Dancing with the Stars: Round Three: Results Show (#9.7)" (2009/I), she cleared up the pronunciation of her last name. She said her last name is really pronounced MaH-zahr, and not the commonly mispronounced May-zahr. However, she has accepted the media mispronouncing it as May-zahr.
Before she became a star, she was a beautician.
Welcomed first child, daughter, Evelyn Maria on July 12th 2002.
Did Madonna's make-up for the 1988 Broadway production of "Speed-the-Plow", which inspired her to take acting lessons.

Was a hip-hop breakdancer in the early 80s as evidenced in Graffiti Rock (1984) (TV).
Close friend of Madonna.
She has worked with both of the main female stars of Cold Mountain (2003): Nicole Kidman in Batman Forever (1995) and Renée Zellweger inEmpire Records (1995).
Welcomed second daughter, Giulia Isabel Mazar-Corcos, on 17 March 2006.
Is of Latvian descent.
Grew up on Manhattan's lower east side.
Skipping college, she worked as a makeup artist and was a fixture on the 1980s club scene, where she befriended a then-struggling Madonna.
Famous for hosting parties.
Speaks fluent Italian.
Dated actor Paul Reubens, best known for his portrayal of Pee-Wee Herman, from 1993-1999. Reubens credits her for ending the depression resulting from his scandalous 1991 arrest.




Personal Quotes
 

As a matter of fact, I've been to Italy many times before I met my husband, which he can't even imagine that I could possibly know anything about Italian food. But, you know, Italian food's really basic, and there's so many different variations on it that what my husband did is he broke it down for me. 

Being a publicist is like management in a lot of ways - you're their friend, you're their mother, you're their confidante. 

Being typecast is a great thing for an actor. I was considered one of the New York mob actors.


For me, its like go ahead and eat. Live your life. I mean, I've just seen so much death, you know, as of late, being in my 40s, of people getting sick or, you know, whatever, that I just feel like, you know what? You never know with life. Eat. Enjoy yourself. Just try to be healthy and, you know, and watch it. 

I grew up on food stamps. I come from a very humble background. And I've had many friends that have been destitute - you know, running into trouble - and places like The Midnight Mission have given them hope and have fed them and gotten them back on the right path. 

With Artist Keith Harring

I live in Italy part time, and they're obsessed with what's happening in LA too. They make fun of Americans, but the world wants to know what's going on in Hollywood. 

I started doing makeup to make a living. Then I said, You're not supposed to be putting powder on other people. You're supposed to be powdering yourself.

I think my career would probably be in a better place had I been more aggressive. But I don't have it in me. I'm not a competitive person, and I'm also really private.

I think that my interpretation of Italian was a lot more southern than what my husband cooks. You know, I grew up in Queens and in Brooklyn, and we - really, it's more southern. It's Naples and Sicily. It's heavier. It's over-spiced. And like most Americans, I thought spaghetti and meatballs was genius. 

I truly have a love-hate thing with the press. 

I've never wanted to be the ingenue. Now that I'm getting into my forties, I think my time as a woman has arrived; I think I might have a new moment in my career. I have that drive left - just for a little while. 

Nobody has money right now. And eating is very important, but it doesn't need to be expensive. And to make - it doesn't need to be fancy, as long as it's fresh and simple. The simpler it is, the more fancy it actually comes out tasting. 

Some people in LA are addicted. They have to be here. My personal life is stronger than my professional life, in terms of priorities. 

Well, you know, I have always had an issue with the whole weight thing with people in general because I happen to love how big women look. I mean, it's all a perspective. It's all an opinion, and I think sort of the Rubenesque, voluptuous body is a lot sexier than the boney bag of bones with fake everything.




hey and check out Debi & Gabreile on the COOKING CHANNEL'S EXTRA VIRGIN!
& UNDER THE TUSCN GUN





Mykie's Note:

I remember the first time I ever saw Debi Mazar on film,  it was GOODFELLAS, she had a small part , but a big presence, she definitely made you take notice and ask who is she? And where can I see more of her. She also co_starred with actress Heather Page Kent in a  short lives series THAT'S LIFE, That I loved, but like all good things it was cancelled. I have had a few meet and greets with Debi, thou I don't expect her to remember me, it was so long ago. In the LA club scene, one of those clubs we kids flocked to, THE ODDESSY. used to be on Beverly and la cienega blvd. I love her acting~ she's very natural and funny and  I am always ecstatic to see her on film.  One of my professional goals is to work with her, She has a past of working as a makeup artist too, so I think that's pretty awesome. She has a very 1950's even 40's feel to her and makeup wise she has the perfect film noir face. She reminds me of Vivian Leigh a lot. She may play the new york/jersey girl stick pretty well, better then most, but it's done with a sense of grace.
As  usually here is my personal filmography of Debi's work that I love the most. Check it out! and enjo













1 comment:

Feed Back Is apprechiated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...